The Science subcategories cover a broad scope alternating between physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics.
Prizes for Science were added in 1982 and first awarded in 1984.
One is considered qualified to win the King Faisal International Prize for Science if they have carried out and published an original scientific research on the prize’s topic, with major benefits to humanity, and meeting one or more of the prize’s objectives as determined by the respective Selection Committee.Apply now for the Science Prize
- Nominations should be from universities, research centers and other learned circles. Nominations are also accepted from previous winners of King Faisal International Prize. Nominations are not accepted from individuals or political parties.
- Nominated works must be published, benefit mankind and enrich human knowledge.
- Dissertations are not accepted.
Requirements from Nominating Body
- An official letter of nomination for each nominee separately, adequately justifying the nomination and outlining the nominee's achievements in the prize field.
- A list of nominated works.
- A general information form filled by the nominee; this form can be duplicated if more than one candidate is nominated.
Requirements from each Nominee
- A typed curriculum vitae of each nominee with a list of his/her publications.
- One original of each nominated paper. The total number of nominated papers should not exceed 10.
- Six copies of each nominated book and/or book chapters. The total number of nominated books and/or book chapters should not exceed 6.
- One high resolution color photo of each nominee (10x15cm).
Nomination documents and nominated works will not be returned.
- A certificate written in Arabic calligraphy, describing the work for which the winner is awarded the Prize.
- A Commemorative 24-carat, 200-gram gold medallion.
- A sum of SR 750,000 (US$ 200,000).
- Nominations are judged exclusively on the basis of merit.
- Any nomination not fulfilling all conditions and requirements shall be excluded.
- More than one winner may share the Prize.
- The decision of the Prize's Selection Committee is final.
- Winners are announced during the month of January every year and honored at an official ceremony later in Riyadh.